Hertwig Dolls 1865-1941 German
Hertwig & Company was founded by Christoph Hertwig, Johann and Benjamin Beyermann who produced porcelain and earthenware products in their factory in Katzhütte, Thuringen, Germany from 1864 to 1941. By 1869 Mr. Hertwig was the sole owner, after Christoph passed away in 1886 his son and grand-sons continued the company. The first mention of doll head production was in 1884. Hertwig & Company was a prolific producer of China head dolls on nanking bodies, they employed 300-500 factory workers, plus 600 more home workers, most of the citizens of Katzhütte earned their living from this enterprise.